Monday, March 18, 2013

V/A - "Sons Of A Bitch 2" Cassette (Latvian punk)


Full-on assault of 21 of the earliest, most primitive hardcore punk bands from Latvia! Let me just come clean by saying I do not know the (probably fascinating) history of Latvian punk, and this tape was among many others like it in a box of tapes (that also rule, but I have little info about) I got from a dorky ex-tape trader. Some of the material on here is really fucking innovative and angry, and surely must be an authentic reaction to the then-recent independence from Soviet rule (1994 Russian troops withdrew, according to Wiki). If this was a Japanese comp, there would certainly be a much stronger hype for it, and more of you would download it....but all you should need to know is that this is raw and fierce as hell! All tracks are "taken from demos and live records 1993-1995," according to the liner notes. Some of my faves: SMOGS,  DILONIS, 33-X ΛETHИЙ ЛOДOHOK, ORGASM FAKERS, and THE ANGELS & LITTLE FROGS.




As I listen to this while examining the J card layout, I fear that documents like this are nearly extinct and obsolete due to this very medium that I'm using to share this tape....let's hope we can continue to document things in their "pure" forms as well as on the internet, so all this important material doesn't get lost in a galaxy-sized sea of 0's and 1's.



Interested in more Latvian punk like I am? You should visit my buddy Miso's blog - here - as he seems to know a good deal of Latvian punk (and lots of other rare stuff from that part of the world), and this website also has lots of info on Latvian punk. Also, does anyone out there have "Sons Of A Bitch 1"?

2 comments:

  1. This is great! I found this tape in some other blog, I can't remember, but it was really nice to find this tape here, and with the effort of scanning the layout! Thanks for posting this, favourite blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I found this tape in some other blog, I can't remember, but it was really nice to find this tape here, and with the effort of scanning the layout! Thanks for posting this, favourite blog!

    ReplyDelete