Sunday, March 24, 2013

BG ROCK 3 - MILENA/REVIEW LP


Today I bring you a rare  LP from the dawn of the Bulgarian new wave/punk movement. I became obsessed with REVIEW's track from the Bulgarian Archives comp EP a while back, and since i can never seem to be satiated, I made it my mission to track this down. Don't expect raging hardcore or familiar punk angst here; this is something totally different. The REVIEW side is a mix of new wave and what I can only assume is a traditional Balkan sound - really unique and mostly incredibly catchy. The MILENA side is the singer from REVIEW's solo project, and honestly is as pretty far away from punk as you'll ever see on this blog. It's pretty much just radio pop or something, but I felt it necessary to include it for completeness's sake. Below I've included Bulgarian punk scene veteran Ivailo Tonchev's account of the bands...




REVIEW bore the only female punk STAR (?) here - MILENA. REVIEW did a great LP of gloomy wave/punk, the first underground film movie "WATERFALL MANAGER" and split up. Later on there was a tape released by DS music. MILENA was their vocalist, quite fascinating with her mohawk and her unique dressing style. Sadly the 90's fucked her a lot. She did one great and extremely hard to be found LP, where she was supported by the musicians of ERA ("HA HA") and later on turned to glam rock, metal or now she's into crossover... ok, she was, as I saw her last summer and she had again ripped a new style, this time sort of acoustic rock... kinda boring, huh...

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! Do you have BG ROCK 1 - CONTROL/NEW GENERATION split LP please? I would like to hear it...

    ReplyDelete